Need a Translation? Select Your Language Below

January 26, 2013

Franz Josef Glacier Helicopter, New Zealand


 FRANZ JOSEF GLACIER
HELICOPTER RIDE, HELI HIKE, HOT POOLS

January 26, 2013

"Last Night's Dinner!"
"Taking Off!"
"Franz Josef Glacier"

"Hi From the Glacier"


"Crampons (boots with spikes)"



"This looks small...but they are each about a hundred feet tall"

"Passing me the Rope After His Climb"
"Loving This!"


"Having Fun!!!"









"Found a Cavern"





"Taking a Break!!!"






Today is one for the books! We went on the Heli Hike on Franz Josef Glacier. We got picked up this morning by helicopter, had a scenic helicopter tour, and then landed on the glacier in order for the adventure to begin! We both loved the helicopter ride!!!


Once we landed on the glacier our tour guide, lead us on a hike through the Franz Josef Glacier. It was absolutely breathtaking!!! We hiked for four hours and discovered a few small caverns and crevices , which we climbed in! We had to use crampons (boots with spikes) in order to hike through the glacier, so our steps would hold into the ice. Our instructor gave a challenge, that the person who could hike the glacier in shorts would win a prize… and of course Anthony was the only one who hiked in shorts (he was freezing)!


Overall it was an amazing experience, one that we will never forget! Tomorrow we are off on another 9 hour car ride… but this time we have to take our car with us onto the ferry that connects New Zealand's South and North Islands as we are off to Wellington!


Enjoy the pictures,


Nicole

8 comments:

  1. Absolutely awesome!!!!!!!!!!!! What a great day!!! I love all the pictures!!!! The pictures are spectacular!!!! I am so happy for you baby girl!!!! Drive careful and can't wait to see the next adventure. This blog is awesome and I feel I am right there on this journey with you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Breathtaking views. A mantle of pure white snow!
    What a magnificent show of God's creation!

    I cannot believe Anthony did that hike on shorts. How brave of him! I hope the prize was worthy, but anyway I am sure the challenge of doing it was hugely rewarding.

    Love,
    Baba

    ReplyDelete
  3. No bungee jumping out of the helicopter?Or off the top of one of those glaciers ?WOW...You two are brave souls having the time of your lives.Keep enjoying the moment.Love you lots....Oma

    ReplyDelete
  4. Abuela and I are really enjoying your pictures. I loved the glazier hike. The colors are beautiful!! was it cold? The buggy jumping was amazing! I would have turned back for sure. Miss you both very much. Have fun. Love MOM and Abuela

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have "seen" everything you've posted. I have enjoyed everything I have "seen". I am VERY happy to see how both of you are enjoying every minute of your adventures. But if I ask myself, "would I have done it?" (even being 20 yrs old), probably not. I guess I would be too scared! Quack, quack...

    Keep enjoying yourselves. Keep sending these BEAUTIFUL pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely amazing! It looks like a lot of fun. Enjoy every minute. Love, Titi Maru

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is amazing! You guys are having such an adventure!!! Keep having fun! Love you and miss you!!!!!

    <3 Celeste

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome......the pictures are breathtaking.Anthony is going to come back as an icicle.....keep enjoying Gods creation.love to both..Oma

    ReplyDelete